More Details Emerge on Fire Fighter Regs
Confirmed: no true volunteer fire department consulted
- Every now and then, Ottawa Valley Business touches on a topic that ruffles some feathers. The mandatory certification of firefighters has been one such topic. On one hand, compliments came in from rural fire departments who felt, for the first time, like their concerns were being heard. On the other hand, some went on the offensive, attacking what had been written and condemning Ottawa Valley Business for fear mongering and “not very good journalism.” As the dust settled, more truth emerged, and it became clear that the proposed regulations have some big problems, and it starts with the fact that the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) purposely excluded rural fire departments from the discussion. Download our latest issue.
Local Pastor Weighs In On Federal Summer Job Grant
Rev. Dustin Abbott pens social media post
- Reverend Dustin Abbott of Emmanuel Lighthouse in Petawawa, took to Facebook to note his comments on the Canada Summer Jobs grant. This is what he had to say. “I don’t do a lot of political activism on social media. I don’t consider this a platform where I want to create division or antagonize people. Right now, however, I feel compelled to use what influence I have for a greater good.” Download our latest issue.
Marketing | Jennifer Layman
Thanks For The Chat, Steve
Remembering a journalism colleague
A Renfrew County Council meeting had just come to a close and those of us at the press desk were gathering our notepads and papers. That’s when Steve said, “Well Jenn, what do you think is the story of the day?” We spent the next 20 minutes sitting in the council chamber, just the two of us, talking about how journalism had changed and what we would each do if we had the magic wand to make it the way we wanted it to be. It’s not easy to find a colleague who will take a visionary journey with you, so when you do find someone like that, it writes a distinct memory in your soul. Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
Book Club | Roger L. Martin and Sally Osberg
Getting Beyond Better: How Social Entrepreneurship Works
By: Roger L. Martin and Sally Osberg
In this compelling book, strategy guru Roger L. Martin and Skoll Foundation President and CEO Sally R. Osberg describe how social entrepreneurs target systems that exist in a stable but unjust equilibrium and transform them into entirely new, superior, and sustainable equilibria. All of these leaders—call them disrupters, visionaries, or changemakers—develop, build, and scale their solutions in ways that bring about the truly revolutionary change that makes the world a fairer and better place. Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
Election 2018 | Are you considering running for council?
2018 is a provincial and a municipal election year. This new column for 2018 provides information about running for municipal council. Visit Ottawa Valley Business’ dedicated Election 2018 Page and find links to additional information there as well.
May 1, 2018: Nomination period opens
July 27, 2018: Nomination period ends
October 22, 2018: Election day
Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
- Events Calendar: Business and related events in the region
- Business News Around The Valley: Briefs on local news and information
- On The Move: Local promotions, new hires and retirements
- Local Police Report: News from the detachments in Renfrew and Lanark
- It’s A Fact: Interesting facts connected to business
- News 10: A quick 10-question quiz on recent news headlines
- Tenders: Current tender postings and results