Latest Issue Here: Ottawa Valley Business – June 19, 2018 Edition
Changes For Employers To Smoke Free Act
Cannabis, e-cigarettes addressed; signage changes
- On July 1, 2018, the new Smoke Free Ontario Act (SFO Act) comes into effect with some requirements of employers. According to the law firm of Koskie Minsky, the most notable change for employers involves the new posting requirements for signs and prohibitions regarding the use of medical cannabis. The SFO Act says that in a prohibited place, no one shall smoke or hold lighted tobacco or lighted medical cannabis, use an electronic cigarette or consume a prescribed product or substance, in a prescribed manner.Download our latest issue.
A Conservative Provincial Government
Some neat numbers from the recent election
- Voters in Ontario spoke loud and clear in the recent provincial election, choosing a Progressive Conservative majority government. The Conservatives now hold 76 seats with 2,322,422 votes overall. The NDP will be the official opposition with 40 seats, earning 1,925,574 votes. The Liberals have 7 seats with just over 1 million votes and the Greens have one seat with just over 260,000 votes. The Conservatives also won 40.63 per cent of the popular vote. Here’s a look at some of the interesting vote margins by riding. Download our latest issue.
Land Claim Presents Issue In Greater Madawaska
Option for alternate lands to Hurds Lake may not be a solution
- A land claim in Greater Madawaska has been a significant issue to solve for owners along Hurds Lake. A significant amount of effort has been dedicated by both council and staff to investigate possible alternative selection for the land claim parcels, 171A and 171B, both being on the south end of Hurds Lake. The investigation originated over concerns from property owners on Hurds Lake. Download our latest issue.
Marketing | Jennifer Layman
Fake Followers? They Do Exist – There is an advantage in operating with social media integrity
For those of us with social media accounts, it feels great to have someone like or follow your page. But doesn’t it seem to take forever for that to happen? How do some places get 1,000 followers in a week when most of us could take years to reach that milestone? Well, maybe they’re not real. Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
Book Club | Roger Fields, CPA
This one-stop guide to opening a restaurant from an accountant-turned-restaurateur shows aspiring proprietors how to succeed in the crucial first year and beyond. 90 per cent of all restaurants fail, and those that succeed happened upon that mysterious X factor, right? Wrong! Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
Election 2018 | Are you considering running for council?
2018 is a provincial and a municipal election year. This new column for 2018 provides information about running for municipal council. Visit Ottawa Valley Business’ dedicated Election 2018 Page and find links to additional information there as well.
May 1, 2018: Nomination period opens
July 27, 2018: Nomination period ends
October 22, 2018: Election day
Read more by downloading our latest issue – it’s free!
- Events Calendar: Business and related events in the region
- Business News Around The Valley: Briefs on local news and information
- On The Move: Local promotions, new hires and retirements
- Local Police Report: News from the detachments in Renfrew and Lanark
- It’s A Fact: Interesting facts connected to business
- News 10: A quick 10-question quiz on recent news headlines
- Tenders: Current tender postings and results