A Mayor’s Legacy: Vision, Consensus, Trust
Arnprior’s David Reid sticking to two-term promise
- When David Reid ran for the mayor’s chair in 2010, he said he would only stay two terms. Now, in 2018, that second term is up, and despite some encouragement to change his mind, he’s sticking to his word.
“I think sometimes people hang in a little longer than they should,” he says. Download our latest issue.
Canadians and Estate Planning
One-quarter have not written a will
- When the world learned that Prince, an artist whose estate was worth an estimated $300 million, died without a will in place, it caught many by surprise. A slight majority of Canadians share at least one thing in common with the pop legend: a lack of estate-planning. A new poll finds that 51 per cent of Canadians say they have no last will and testament in place, while only 35 per cent say they have one that is up to date. Half of Canadians are set to have no say in what happens to their assets should they die. Download our latest issue.
Chance For Businesses To Win $100K
Contest looks for early-stage acceleration
- Renfrew County Community Futures Development Corporation (RCCFDC) is issuing a regional call for applications for RC100, an opportunity for entrepreneurs to compete for an early-stage acceleration capital investment of up to $100,000. The focus of the competition is to attract pre-commercial start-up businesses developing innovative products and services that will grow and ultimately create jobs in Renfrew County. Download our latest issue.
Marketing | Jennifer Layman
A Lesson From Sobey’s
How to align your business with events
There was news this month that Sobey’s pulled its sponsorship of the Health and Wellness Expos of Canada after the event booked a man convicted of killing his son as their keynote speaker. David Stephan was convicted in 2012 of not providing “the necessaries of life” to his son, instead treating what ended up being bacterial meningitis with garlic, onion and horseradish. By the time Stephan did call 911, it was too late. Read more by downloading our latest issue – its’ free!
Book Club | Jason Haber
Social entrepreneurship differs from traditional forms of entrepreneurship in that the primary goal of the social venture is to address social problems and needs that are as yet unmet. The driving force of such ventures is social value creation. This new textbook aims to provide a comprehensive, cutting edge resource for students, introducing them to the unique concerns and challenges that face social ventures through a comparison with the principles of traditional entrepreneurship. Read more by downloading our latest issue – its’ free!
Election 2018 | Are you considering running for council?
2018 is a provincial and a municipal election year. This new column for 2018 provides information about running for municipal council. Visit Ottawa Valley Business’ dedicated Election 2018 Page and find links to additional information there as well.
May 1, 2018: Nomination period opens
July 27, 2018: Nomination period ends
October 22, 2018: Election day
Read more by downloading our latest issue – its’ free!
- Events Calendar: Business and related events in the region
- Business News Around The Valley: Briefs on local news and information
- On The Move: Local promotions, new hires and retirements
- Local Police Report: News from the detachments in Renfrew and Lanark
- It’s A Fact: Interesting facts connected to business
- News 10: A quick 10-question quiz on recent news headlines
- Tenders: Current tender postings and results