Latest Issue: Ottawa Valley Business – November 6, 2018
Who Is An Eligible Voter?
Province, MPAC put responsibility on municipal clerks
If the Ottawa Valley felt they waited a long time for some municipalities to release municipal election results, be thankful you weren’t in Wollaston Township. The vote concluded on October 22 but results were not released until October 30. The issue? According to the Belleville Intelligencer, it involved concerns over voter eligibility, and specifically, seasonal residents. Download our latest issue.
Bill 47 Replaces Many Bill 148 Provisions
See what changes and what stays the same for local employers
On October 23, 2018, the Ontario government introduced Bill 47, Making Ontario Open For Business Act, 2018. If passed, it will change things for employers in Ontario. We go over some of the changes in this article. Download our latest issue.
Worst Passwords of 2017
Splash Data is a California-based provider of security applications and services. They have published al list of the worst 100 passwords of 2017. Download our latest issue.
Municipal Election Results
Voter turnouts, interesting facts and more around this year’s municipal election. Download our latest issue.
Cannabis Resources (From October 16, 2018 Edition)
- Cannabis Act, 2017
- Smoke Free Ontario Act (This Act is not yet in force)
- Clearing the Haze: The impacts of marijuana in the workplace (Human Resources Professionals Association HRPA)
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit Presentation to Parents and Communities
- Ontario Ministry of Labour: Impairment and Workplace Health and Safety
- Hicks Morley: New Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 in Force July 1, 2018: What Employers Should Know (May 29, 2018)
- Ontario Cannabis Store
Marketing | Jennifer Layman
Intangible Value: Measuring the immeasurable
One of the struggles that many people have with investing in marketing is how to determine if they earned any value from that investment. Customers do not often say, “Your new marketing initiatives are what is driving me to come to your store today,” so attributing value to marketing is not always able to be done with numbers. For business owners who are numbers people, accepting that marketing has value apart from numbers can often be a tough sell. “If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it,” they say, quoting an old adage often attributed to Dr. W. Edwards Deming, an American statistician and scholar. And thus, marketing is slashed from the business plan. Download our latest issue.
Book Club | Jack Schafer
From a former FBI Special Agent specializing in behavior analysis and recruiting spies, comes a handbook filled with proven strategies on how to read people instantly and influence how they perceive you, so you can turn on the like switch. Download our latest issue.
- Events Calendar: Business and related events in the region
- Business News Around The Valley: Briefs on local news and information
- On The Move: Local promotions, new hires and retirements
- It’s A Fact: Interesting facts connected to business
- News 10: A quick 10-question quiz on recent news headlines
- Tenders: Current tender postings and results